Welcome to Week 4
Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. —Thomas Edison
This is the first week you’re on your own! Write yourself a letter, outlining your goals, time of completion and steps you will actively take to achieve those goals. Keep it with you. Do your best to see the possibility of a new you. Do your best to fulfill the program as outlined. Do your best to react to stress in a positive manner. Do your best to change your life.
Please keep a food journal; next week, I’d like to use our time to share any favorite recipes you’ve found, and what works for you. Email me any questions you might have regarding food but stick to these guidelines.
• Eat 9-11 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
• Eat color and variety as often as possible
• Monitor and eat 25 grams of fiber daily including at least 5 grams of whole grains meaning that 5 grams of your fiber intake is not from fruits or veggies.
• Eat 80-100 grams of protein.
• Drink water over any other beverage with every meal.
• Get at least 7 hours of sleep every day (making up hours on weekends if you cannot sleep at least 7 hours weekdays)
• Find your breath and count five slow deep breaths every morning, lunch, dinner and before every meal.
• Limit processed foods and be conscious of your choices each time you fuel your precious engine.
• Eat at least 4-5 meals/snacks a day
• Meals should haveboth protein and carbs and under 450 calories
• A good shakc has both protein and carbs and under 250 calories
Visit this site to create a customized pyramid that includes recommendations for daily calories, fat and nutrients based on your age, gender, & activity level.
Visit this site to find the fiber and protein values of food.
Visit this site for latest research on products and their health statements.
©2010 Andrea Metcalf Inc.
You will be amazed at what you can accomplish. This program is about you. You have the power to change. Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. –Anonymous
A few sample meals—never skip any meal!
• Greek Yogurt with 1 cup fresh berries, 1 banana, 10 almonds
• 2 Eggs with 1 cup steamed veggies, 2 oz cheddar cheese, 4 oz milk and tea
• 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 orange, 1 slice whole grain bread
Tip: Try getting veggies in the morning with your fruit.
• Mexico Quickie: . cup black beans, 4 oz chicken breast, 2 oz jack cheese, 1/2 cup red peppers, 1 Tbsp vinegarette rollled in Mission Foods Carb Balance Tortilla (21g fiber)
• 2 cups spinach, . cup string beans, 1/4 cup each: chopped peppers, onions, carrots, beets, red cabbage; 1 Tbsp balsamic dressing, 2 oz crumbled bleu cheese
• Tuna Fast: One 3 oz package drained Tuna 1/2 cup red peppers, 2tblspn barbeque sauce over 2 cups mixed greens, slice watermelon
Tip: add dark colored beans to increase the fiber and protein.
• Charlie’s Tuna: 6 oz Seared tuna, 4oz Quinoa with chicken broth
• 6oz grilled chicken, 2 cups cooked spinach, 1 cup fresh berries with cool whip, 1/4 cup milk and Tea
• 1 cup spaghetti squash with 1 tspn maple syrup, 1cup mashed cauliflower, 1 cup cooked barley pearls, . cup each: craisins, slivered almonds & peas (mix with barley), 4 oz grilled chicken breast, 1/4 cup milk
Tip: Darker foods are more nutrient dense. Think color and variety.
Created and practiced by Andrea Metcalf.